Background

Voting

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Welcome Kevalin Thomas!

Vinay and I woke up early Thursday morning preparing ourselves for just one more day of normalcy before the c-section on the 24th. But, it wasn't to be. After a quick call to the doctor's office because of a bit of bloody show, we were told we needed to be there as soon as possible. So, off we went to the doc's around 10:30 and we were quickly told that I was going into labor and the c-section needed to happen Thursday. We walked over to the hospital, got hooked up to IVs and the like and little Kevalin Thomas was born at 12:56 pm. It was rushed but fabulous - not a lot of time for Mommy to get worried.


Kevalin is a name from India. It means "he who seeks knowledge" and we like both the meaning and the easy pronunciation. Thomas is after my Dad.

Kevalin was 6 pounds 9.6 ounces at birth and 20.5 inches. Almost a pound and a half smaller than Amiya, but 1 full inch longer. He squawked when born but then spent the next three hours calmly looking at the new world - his name seems appropriate.

Amiya is completely in love. She speaks to him in a calm, soothing voice and uses only the gentlest of touches. When she came to see him the first few times it was as if no one else was around - Kev was her sole focus and don't even bother to try to get her attention. Unfortunately, Amiya has fallen sick with a high fever and upset stomach, so she's staying at Grandma and Grandpa's camper for a few days.

Daddy is a happy, tired man. We honestly did not open the envelope and so we were both in a bit of shock to see a penis where we were expecting nothing of the like. But just like Amiya's birth, Vinay quickly got things moving in the right direction. These kids are so lucky to have a Daddy that doesn't balk at diaper changing, soothing crying newborns and even golden showers. That's right! Vinay got a golden shower from little Kevalin before the child was more than 1 day old. He had a choice between dodging the meconium or dodging the urine. I think he chose well!

I'm doing well. I'm still in a bit of shock about having a Kevalin and not a girl. It seems so strange to open the diaper and need to navigate around to clean. But, he's a gorgeous, calm little guy and I've got absolutely no complaints. The c-section was alright and nursing is an entirely different experience this time than with Amiya, so I am grateful and feeling much less blue than last time. Plus, it's simply hard to feel down when I've got Vinay taking care of me, my parents spending all their time taking care of a very loving and proud Big Sister and two amazing children.

There will be many, many more pics of Kevalin and Amiya in the days to come when we've got time to get online. Thank you all for your well wishes!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!! He is beautiful!!!

Jacki Carli and Lynn

Anonymous said...

congratulaions on the new addition to the family. Vinay your going to have to learn how to duck, or learn how to do a fast switch a ru. Christy Kevalin is beautiful, Job well done. And Amiya your going to make a fabulous big sister. Love Aunt Mia

Anonymous said...

Very nice to meeting you Kevalin!!
We are so glad...he is so cute and I really love his name too. Congratulations to all of your family!!
Our "due day" is March 13th, but I believe it must be in advance.
We cannot wait as well!

Love,
Shuku

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I love how he's already smiling for the camera--he'll provide us with just as many adorable updates as his sis, I'm sure.

Can't wait to meet him!
Carissa

Christy said...

Thank you everyone!!!

Shuku - I can't wait to hear your news!