That's what I am. A big, old liar. It's how I get food into the kid lately - food that I know she wouldn't try if I didn't make up a fabulous story about it. To the left you see Coco Wheats. That not-so-glorious breakfast food of my youth. But it's nothing so mundane as Coco Wheats here, instead we call it Hot Cocoa Cereal. A few marshmallows on top and a sprinkling of mini-chocolate chips and it goes down as slick as snot. Not that I'm wild about the marshmallows and chocolate chips, but we must pick our battles wisely. When trying a new food and one that I really want her to eat because I'm not too scared of how it will look if it revisits us, I'
m not above bribery.To the right we see Amiya after finishing her very last magic shell. That's right, it's magic in the Gupta house. Here's how you can make your own magic shells:
1 box shell pasta, cooked
1 can tuna drained
1 shallot chopped
1 c. frozen peas
1 handful chopped celery
1 handful of cheese cubed
mayo
salt
pepper
Toss it all together and chill.
That's right, magic shells are nothing more than cold tuna noodle salad. You're onto me! Amiya was having none of it, absolutely none of it. Mommy wasn't making something else so I told her that if you can find two shells with one inside the other, you just have to close your eyes tight and make a wish. Happily, shells often get glued together, so there were lots of wishes going on at our house. And Amiya kept on eating those magic shells even when Mommy's (odd) tuna craving had passed and I wanted nothing more to do with the leftovers.
5 comments:
I have to agree with Amiya --- there would be no magic shells at our house ----- next time you decide to make it you can send Amiya here. Our house is TUNA FREE!!!!
Jacki
I know, I know. Generally we are tuna free, too, but I needed the tuna can for the Oscar cake (it was the right size)! And every once in a while (first time in our marriage, so it really *is* sparodic) this girl needs cold tuna noodle salad! It's a summer comfort food.
But hey, if eating tuna really earned you unlimited wishes, wouldn't you eat it?
Call it Salad Nicoise. Sounds much better.
Remember how you laughed at all the things I did to get you kids to eat good stuff.... carob chips, carrots ground up in meatloaf, bran mixed into cooky dough....
the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Hee Hee
Who is calling carob chips good? And you mixed bran into cookie dough?
I've got you beat though. I put pumpkin in meatloaf. It's not my invention, I can't take credit, but it's nutritious and delicious!
Mwa ha ha ha ha.
Just a little bran... to fiber you guys up a little.
Post a Comment