Background

Voting

Friday, June 25, 2010

Book Club for Babes

While Vinay was out of town, Amiya and her good friend Emily played hostess to nine other ankle-biter girls at our house. Each girl received an invitation a few weeks ago to come on over for a book discussion about the book Matilda by Roald Dahl. Even better, the invitation also stated that the girls should wear their PJs and be prepared to not only talk about a great book, but to watch the movie, too. From 7 - 10 PM, our home was invaded by 11 squealy, giggly girls and we had a lot of fun! The girls did a great job talking about the book, despite the fact that for some, the level was a bit difficult. Matilda is a high-interest book with a little girl outsmarting lots of evil grown-ups, so they loved it even if it was challenging!





Amiya and I created stacks of fake books for the girls to take their picture with - just like the cover of the book. Matilda is a character who loves and loves to read (sound like anyone you know?) so we thought for the first meeting of our group, we'd have the girls surrounded by books, just like Matilda.
I did my best to have Kev thoroughly exhausted by the time the girls started arriving - I had high hopes that he'd fall right to sleep and never know that so many friends were over.

No. such. luck.

He wasn't going to bed without his picture being taken too:

Happily, Ms. Sara, Emily's Mom, played along with Kev and took a few shots so his little heart would be sated. And then Kev scampered off to bed for what I hoped would be the end of his presence at the girls' club.

No. such. luck.

Not once, but twice, he poked his head out of the room to yell, "Giwls, I aksed you to be kiet. I'm twyin' to sweep in hewe." Of course, the girls thought this was nothing short of hilarious which made them laugh all the louder and kept poor, sleep-deprived Kev up even longer. Such a tough life the little man has.

We have another book club meeting in August - and I don't know who is more excited - Amiya or me! I love doing stuff like this with her and I love that this could be the start of a group where reading is really cool and exciting! I get so much out of my book club - I hope this is equally rewarding for her!

No comments: