In the spirit of having something for my children to look back upon and see what I thought about their various shenanigans, let me show you a little something from Amiya. I'm like a peacock with this kid at school, although I try to keep my feathers all tucked away and not so showy when we're out of the house.

Hopefully Blogger will be nice and let you click on that so you can see it clearly at all.
The schools in our district participate in an online reading program called Accelerated Reader. Kids read a book and take a reading comprehension quiz (among other types of quizzes) at school. The teacher sets a goal for each child based on reading level, reading goals, etc. Books are assessed based on writing style, length of sentence, type of writing and vocabulary and given a level that roughly corresponds to a grade level. A book with a 2.4 level would be a book that most students at second grade, fourth month could successfully read. That level is also used to determine the number of points a student can earn from reading that book.
Amiya, as a Kindergartener, did not have access to this program through the fall. However, when she moved to first grade, it became a regular part of her curriculum and she is blowing me away! The typical goal for an on-level, competent first grade reader is 14 points. Amiya finished this grading period with 70.6 points. Her average book level was a 4.8 and her average score on all quizzes (ranging from a 1.5 level to a 5.9 level) was a 93.9%.
So, I don't usually brag about the kids here so much as I embarass them by archiving their antics but sometimes a Mom has got to show her plumage. This child rocks!
And it's not solely from the Gupta genes, either!
2 comments:
I knew those Dysh genes were there!
Exactly Mom!
Post a Comment