Background

Voting

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yo, Yoplait

UPDATE: It's high fructose corn syrup. That's what I objected to in this yogurt. Why, please tell me, is there hfcs in yogurt? That's just wrong. Wrong.

So we've kind of been on a yogurt kick around here lately because the kids like it, it's always ready and it's healthy. That being said, it's been the subject of some debate lately. Mommy wanted the Yoplait original kind because it was on sale and I had a coupon (is that an Amen I heard Jacki?). Amiya swore up and down and left and right that she had had Yoplait before and that she hated it. (She had, in fact, had Yoplait before but it was Strawberry Banana and nobody likes Strawberry Banana in our family and it was tepid from the airport food stand. I digress.) So, while she was technically correct, I was willing to use the parental powers of omission and/or selective remembering to persuade her to give the ol' Yoplait another try. She did and it was love at first tentative spoonful. Now she's begging for it, even over the yogurt that some marketing genius (ahem) paired up with mini M&Ms.

And therein lies the clincher. Who knew plain ol' Yoplait was so chock full of crap? I can't recall exactly what it was in there that pretty much ruined it for us, but it seems to me that yogurt should have 3-4 things, tops. Cultured milk, fruit, sugar (if necessary). Throw in some live culture to keep things interesting and we'll be set. I don't want the kids eating aspartame (the most likely offender) or other sweeteners. I'd rather they not have fourteen kinds of gums and thickeners in their morning yogurt, but I'm really not that picky. As long as I know it isn't full of aspartame, Splenda or fake colors, it's a go by me. Take a peak, next time you're in the yogurt area of the grocery store, there aren't all that many yogurts out there that fit the bill. It's not only Yoplait that's got me all up in a lather, it's most of them! 95% of the yogurts on the shelf have something man-made in them and the 5% that don't are not that easy to spot (or pay for!).

So, to the yogurt makers of the world - could you please, please kick Diego off of your chock-full-of-sugar crap yogurt and plaster his face on the all-natural, all-pronouncable-ingredients Stonyfield Farms brand? It'd make grocery shopping a whole lot easier for the Gupta family.

That's all I'm saying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN!!!!!!!