Background

Voting

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

We went to see Obama!!!

What a day it was! Last Thursday, Obama was speaking in Sarasota, a one hour drive from here so a friend and I decided to round up the kids and take a trip. It was fantastic - not only great to spend time with Courtney and her darling daughter Hannah, but also to find oneself in a community of like-minded thinkers. (Not Sarasota, mind you, which is very red, but the group of 12,000 who came to listen to new ideas.)


A few people have expressed anger that I'd take Amiya out of school to attend such an event. I feel a bit defensive about that - we've always spoken clearly and truthfully to her about things, at a level that she can understand. We have also never said a bad thing about John McCain or Sarah Palin (which, after the fake Sarkozy interview, takes a bit of restraint) in her presence. And when someone else does, we say that we don't need to say bad things about McCain to be positive about Obama. Anyway, Amiya will choose for herself one day. Until then, I will take her to events like this and let her see what it is. I was confident that an Obama event would be hopeful and positive and, given the news clips, one cannot always make the same argument for the crowds at McCain's.

Moving on. If you know me, you know I'm a crier and this event proved no exception. I am full of hope (and hot air, I'm sure my Dad would say) regarding an Obama administration. Should he win, he will have an enormous amount of work to do to get us back to zero, much less on the positive side of so many problems in our world. And should he win, I hope each and every one of us who supported him pre-election holds him to his word. Imagine what the world could be.


Courtney and Hannah, Amiya, Kev and I. Post rally, feeling euphoric! Amiya yelled "Go Obama!" or "Obama's The Best!" the whole time.

Kev and Amiya waiting in line - for about 2 hours. It was the longest line I've ever been a part of - probably snaking back and forth for the equivalent of 20 blocks - but no one was complaining. There were lots of people selling Obama goods - especially t-shirts and buttons. Amiya wanted a button that had the Peanuts gang on it and I got one with a quote from JFK.
Hannah having a seat on her Mom's feet during the line. Isn't she sweet?

In our seats, getting ready! Kev ate that whole tub of popcorn! (Please note, while I do think Amiya will remember this, I am fully cognizant of Kev just being there for the popcorn!)

The man himself. His speech was a standard stump speech that was covered on CNN the next day. It felt good to be with people who appreciated what he says. The crowd was beautiful and diverse - all shades and shapes, swank and sweats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Christy, What a great night Tuesday was, I stayed up till 12:00 watching the event. (I was moved to tears,) I wished I could have heard Obama speak, what an opporunity you all had. Happy Birthday on the 7th. Love Aunt Mia

Christy said...

Thanks Aunt Mia - it *was* an incredible night on Tuesday night for so many reasons!!! You and I weren't the only ones moved to tears. His solemnity really struck me - I expected big smiles and instead saw a man who knows exactly how much work he has got going on.



Thanks for the birthday wishes! It'll be the best birthday in eight years I think!