Background

Voting

Sunday, October 05, 2008

Up Norf

So the kids and I took a trip to Northern Wisconsin a few weeks ago and we had a great time. I miss Wisconsin. A lot. I miss the Midwest. It's a different attitude and a different perspective. So, while Tampa is good for our family and my kids see lots of kids who look like them day in and day out, I guess deep down I'll never feel Florida is home. Our house is home, but I'd love it more if it were somewhere else. I didn't think I'd feel homesick 4+ years after moving, but I do.
It was incredibly refreshing to not have to be all over the kids when they were outside. No fire ants, snakes, gators, etc. Ahhh. They played in the woods, picked a million acorns, kicked up leaves, waded in lakes, etc. They got to be kids like I was when I was growing up. (See above paragraph.)

Anyway, we had a great, great, great trip. I was pretty much the fifth wheel - Amiya had Grandma and Kev had Grandpa and I was good for diaper changes and doling out goldfish.

Blogger is kind of being difficult, so here are a whole lotta photos in no particular order:
The duo, upon arriving. Amiya crouches, Kev thinks he needs to crouch too.

Grandpa at the tea party Amiya and Grandma hosted while Kev napped. Please note his pinky.

I love this picture of Amiya. She's holding a bucket with 855 acorns - we counted. Mr. Bernie won the estimation contest and we're sending him cookies as his prize!

Kev, Amiya and Grandpa picking bright fall leaves on our last afternoon. We took them home and dipped them in parafin to preserve them. I think Grandpa liked this better than the kids!

Grandma and Amiya at the campfire on our last night. "You go girl!" "No, you go girl!" was all we heard from these two the whole time!

Kev and Grandpa watching the Brewers game. I love that Grandpa is going to be in charge of Kev's baseball and football education!

Doesn't he look innocent? We picnicked on the shores of Lake Superior one day and the kids made full use of the playground right near the lake.

"'frowin wocks" was Kev's favorite activity of the entire trip. He'd still be there if we would have left him. He charged himself with the task of cleaning up the beach and he was taking it very seriously.

Can you blame me for missing it? Just look at those colors!

Amiya noshing on campfire cuisine - she's a potpie connisseur now.

Kev, less in love with potpies, and Grandpa sharing a seat.


I love this picture.




Devastation. Absolute devastation when Amiya tried to climb up his slide.

Grandma taught Amiya how to walk on a fence. Thanks Grandma.

Swinging at Lake Superior.


Amiya with the rabbits at a wildlife park we stopped at.



Amiya petting a deer at the park.

Kev with the same deer. He loved this park.

Doesn't she look fifteen?

He just looks two. If only he'd gotten the earpiece on the ear.


If you blow this one up you'll see how gorgeous she is here. Not that I'm biased.

Kev and Grandpa exploring a river bed.

Super Grandma and Grandpa and the kids. Amiya especially loved spending time with them.

Seriously.

I miss it so much.

And in a completely inappropriate yet very funny way to end our trip: Kev was peeling birch bark from this log at the campfire on the last night when all of a sudden he stopped, hunched over just a bit and got very still. And we all knew exactly what he was doing. That ended the campfire and in we went for the night. Leave it to Kev to end things in a very definite way.



5 comments:

Karen said...

What a wonderful time you must have had. Great pics.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of Amiya with the acorns, she's just so beautiful. That shot of Kev throwing rocks is a fav too, but man is he in bare feet? Ouch!
Don't blame you one bit on missing home, that foliage is killer.

Christy said...

Karen - We had a great time! The kids were really good, the grandparents were really good (ha!), all in all a very nice trip!

Marlene - Yep, bare feet, but the rocks are well-tumbled and rounded from the waves. No sharp stones. We picked the timing perfectly - the leaves were gorgeous!

Kelly said...

Those pictures are fantastic. We sure miss you all in Wisconsin too!

Christy said...

Thanks Kelly! I was bummed not to see you!