Background

Voting

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Upper Michigan, Day Deux


After our day in Stambaugh, we headed to the Western part of the Upper Peninsula. We were going to spend the afternoon at a rock beach on Lake Superior and then meet friends for dinner at their home. It was maybe the most beautiful day we had while we were there. Clear, bright blue skies, great temperature and look, just look, at the water. The picture is deceiving; there is a clear demarcation of sky and water. That day we couldn't tell what was where - it was perfect.



The kids wasted no time getting right in - the water was freezing (almost literally true), but that was no barrier to their fun. Can you see how clear the water is? I think Lake Superior might be a big part of my idea of heaven. So, so pretty.



Really - check it out. Look at how you can see light bouncing off the ripples and the rocks. Beautiful! And the rocks. Kev was in heaven. More rocks than he could ever hope to move - and he moved a lot of them.



And when I say he moved a lot of 'em, I really mean it. He worked off about ten pounds that afternoon and pretty soon he just couldn't keep his shorts up any longer.


Grandpa tried to teach Amiya how to skip rocks. They both tried. Marginally successful.

Later in the day, at our friends' home, Grandma worked with Amiya on the skipping rock thing. Much more successful, but in Grandpa's defense, the rocks here were much, much flatter and thinner.
Kev throwing rocks and sticks at our friends' home just a bit up the shore from Amiya. The entire shoreline is small, flat rocks. After a big storm every single rock might be washed away, only to be piled high after the next storm. What a beautiful place to live - and how incredible to be so close to the strength of nature.

The one calm moment when I could prty their grubby hands from the millions of rocks. I like this picture (could you tell?) - someday when they're screaming at each other I'm going to look at her arm around his shoulder and his happy expression, as well as the ripples in the clear blue water and I am going to get my groove back. Yep, I am. This day was a good day - nothing but great memories.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christy this must have been taken by Bill and Don's. Now I know why the kids had so much fun. To live so close to paradise.

Christy said...

Yep - it was at Bill and Don's. Isn't it gorgeous there? I love it!

Anonymous said...

Kev looks to me like a future plumber!

-Mike

Christy said...

There's good money in plumbing, right?! It's all good - if he's happy being a plumber and he's already got the crack, well then, we're halfway there!