I am cranky today. And I'm being self-indulgent and whiny, so click on the X if you're not in the mood. (I wouldn't be. Go ahead. It's ok.)
The kids and Vinay have been sick for the last four days. Not just head cold sick, but confirmed cases of the flu sick. The sort that, if I catch it, would put me down and out for four days, too. The sort that makes millionaires of the folks at Lysol and Clorox and Aquaphor. The sort that makes mounds of laundry. The sort that just wears a Mom out.
Vinay is relatively easy to care for - he rolls up in a blanket and sleeps. Occasionally he asks for a cup of tea - no biggie. Sometimes I have to remind him to turn off his Nook or his laptop and go back to sleep. He offers to help with the dishes or the laundry - smart guy - knowing I'm not going to let him touch anything until he's donned a fresh hazmat suit and since we're fresh out of those, he is off scott-free.
The kids, and Amiya especially, are another matter. They are both feeling better - which is a relief after Amiya was so weak on Wednesday night that she couldn't even walk from the house to the car to go to the doctor. But they're still in that period where they should be resting - Amiya still had a fever last night. They think they're better, they certainly feel better than they have the last few days, but their little brains can't wrap around how important it is for them to continue resting. There are only so many Dinosaur Trains or Anne of Green Gables that they can watch. And so when it's time to rest, it's pretty much just an hour of me nagging them to lie back down, to quit singing, etc. UGH.
And then, mostly, there's just four days of not having had a moment to breathe. Being a stay-at-homie isn't the most physically demanding job and I'll never deny that I love being flexible and available to the kids pretty much all the time. But I also really do like the three hours in the morning when I can actually get some exercise, run errands without carseats, even make a grocery list without being interrupted seventeen times. There was nothing so pressing on my to do list this week, but there were some things that I wanted to accomplish and they just didn't happen.
On the flip side, it's the weekend. Everyone is getting better. We don't have any massive or even minor events this weekend - no birthday parties, no roller skating dates, no commitments for Vinay's work. Even more, I see people posting on Facebook daily about being broke, their parents' health, etc. We're not broke, my Dad is doing so much better, etc. Life is good. If I could just clear my brain from this Lysol-induced haze, I'd be back to my old, less-cranky, more grateful self.
5 comments:
Christy here's hoping that Vinay and the kids are on the upside of the flu and that you don't get it. take care.
While I would love to be doing something to help you I am staying away in fear of Dad catching a bug from me that I caught from you. Sorry hon. I do feel for you. I remember when you and all three of your brothers got chicken pox at the same time over Easter vacation. That was a treat I'll never forget.
Today is a new day. Less cranky, more mellow. Vinay took the kids to the Indian store and to the office supply store. I am going to take a nice shower and do something crafty. That'll make me smile!
It's the old "you'll laugh about this later" story. But when you are in the midst of something like this, it isn't funny in the least. It sounds like Dr. Mom needs some time at the spa!
Christy,
I so feel your pain, mono has been going around our house for the past two plus months and now I have it. I am at the spot (yet again, since it goes in cycles) where you feel ok when you wake up do a little house work and then your just done! I love being a domestic engineer, there are so manymore perks then downsides. Take care of you and hope everyone starts getting to their full soon. Love ya, Dawn
Post a Comment