Background

Voting

Monday, January 10, 2011

Pumpkin Challah and a Mouse Named Kev

For Christmas, my parents bought me a pain de mie pan (aka a Pullman Loaf Pan) for baking bread. It is nothing short of fantastic, making perfect, perfect square loaves of bread with a tender crust and a crumb that is strong enough to not squish and ball up when sliced for sandwiches. I think I've used it three times so far - once for a traditional pain de mie, once for brioche (sigh - yum) and once, today, for a pumpkin challah.

I know challah should not be pumpkin, but I saw a recipe and it sounded good, so who can blame me? I know, too, that challah should not be forced into a square pan, but I had visions of cream cheese and pumpkin butter sandwiches for my picky (sometimes) vegetarian daughter's lunch. I had visions, too, of Wednesday night's dinner being a baked French toast with scraps of sliced challah from the kids cut-out sandwiches. Pumpkin spice, maple syrup, butter, a side of bacon. Can it be Wednesday night already? Please. So anyway, it wasn't traditional challah, but I'm going to keep calling it that because I can and I feel like it. Plus, I did braid some of it - that counts for something, right?

It rose beautifully, all three times. That was new to me, I usually only knew breads to rise twice. But it was fine - gorgeous and pillowy with each rising. It made our house smell delicious while rising and baking. I think I bake bread as much for the smell as I do to have it in the house. There is nothing better than the warm, yeasty smell of homemade bread. Nothing.

Here's where the mouse named Kev comes in. Little Man thinks he's hot stuff, snitching bits of this and a piece of that from the counter in the kitchen whenever he feels like it. Normally, I don't mind - if there's something out on the counter it's usually healthy. If it's not, he asks. I've never known him to sneak a cookie or something that he knows he shouldn't have.

Obviously, a perfectly square, perfectly beautiful loaf of pumpkin challah seems like a healthy snack to him, because he destroyed my beautiful loaf. He pinched off pieces until it looks like something a rat gnawed on.

And then he grinned at me and told me he twicked me. And then. And then. And then he saw my face and realized that I wasn't laughing this time, that it wasn't funny. We had a long talk about how when Mommy bakes something or cooks something, he isn't to eat it until he checks with me because it could be for someone else.

So now, my perfectly baked, perfectly cornered challah is destroyed. Gone forever. (Or until I bake another one.) But Little Man's tummy is sated. At least I know it's good, right?

5 comments:

Odilia said...

Christy,
What exactly is a pain de mie pan? I see it makes square bread, but where did you hear of a pan like this, does it change the texture of the bread? etc. etc. I am curious.

thatchristine.blogspot.com said...

Little man is quite a man!

Christy said...

Hey Aunt Dilly -

If you click on the words "pain de mie pan" in the first line, it will take you to a link that shows it to you.

I'm not sure where I first read about it - I had been thinking about buying one for about a year when my parents got it for me. What I really like about it is that it doesn't let the bread raise too much, so the crumb seems to be more consistent with no huge air bubbles. I am not nearly the breadmaker my Mom is - I am always running around, so I had a tendency to let my bread raise too much if I got sidetracked with kid stuff. So far, I've had really good luck with not having overly-raised bread. And for me, that means it slices much more nicely since there aren't huge gaps in the crumb.

It's drizzly and in the 60s here today - are you sure you don't want to come down? Can you even get out of your driveway up there? ;-)

Odilia said...

Thanks for the tips Christy, by all of the comments it sounds as though it makes wonderful bread. GOSH! I just envisioned Earl drooling he loves home made breads,just might have to order one of those. I just have to get over hearing your mom saying "money good shopping bad"
Florida is tempting but we are saving for our trip out west this summer, I know it would be a great time.

Christy said...

Aunt Odilia -

I have been making the English Muffin Toasting Bread recipe from the King Arthur Flour website in this pan. It is SO good - and SO quick. You could have bread from flour to slices in about two hours.

I think if you bake bread a lot, you should get this pan. If not, a regular loaf pan might work just as well!

Tell Earl I'll expect some commission from him if he gets a lot more bread soon!