I'll be doing a bit of editing around here, making the blog look a little fresher, etc., etc., but perhaps the most noticeable change will be that Kev will no longer go by his full name of Kevalin, but instead, we'll call him Kevin. That's the name he's given himself.
Mommy: "Who's bed is that?"
Kev: "Kevin's bed."
Mommy: "Who's mess is this?"
Kev: "Kevin's mess."
Mommy: "Who made this mess?"
Kev: "Kevin made da mess, Mommy!"
So a little background. We worked really, really hard on finding names that were Indian in origin, but accessible and pronouncable in this country. I had strict rules against more than 3 syllables and too many consonant combinations. I'm not being mean, I'm just saying, there weren't going to be any Dikshitas in our family. Some names can work in both cultures, some can't. Vinay presented me with many, many names and I vetoed most of them - we ended up Amiya, Leela, Kevalin and some other boys name that was obviously so impressive that I can't even recall it anymore. To be fair, there were some names that I really liked that he didn't - most noticeably - Anand. (If we ever have a pet that I get to name, it's going to be Anand. Be warned.)
Kevin, as a name, is Irish in origin, meaning handsome. And it's true. He's a cute little bugger.
Kevalin, as a name, is Jain (a religion in India) and means seeker of knowledge. Also true. He asks a lot of questions and leafs through a lot of books.
So if he wants to be Kevin, fine by me. He is 25% Irish, after all. And if he wants to be Kevalin, that's good too. As long as he doesn't stop calling me Mommy in his squeaky little voice for a very long time, it's all good.
No comments:
Post a Comment