Background

Voting

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

First Day of First Grade

Well, today was the big day. All the students were back to school after being so rudely awoken before sunrise for the first time since mid-December. There were more than a few dragging backpacks in the hallways today.

Not so for our girl, but not because she wasn't tired. She begged us to leave her be so she could sleep. "I'm still dreaming. I need to finish my dream." "I didn't get enough sleep. It's not healthy to make me get up." And so on.

But then, once things got rolling, she was ready to go!

Only slightly nervous about switching from Kindergarten to first grade, she stoicly shoveled two waffles and a bit of yogurt into her mouth and kept a running commentary going throughout her morning ablutions. Then dressed, shoes on (to her dismay, her teacher wants tennis shoes every day) and outside for a picture, because I would be turning my back on my Hounsell genes were I not to take a picture of a school child on her first day of a new grade.



There she is, in all her glory (please don't mind the dirty gutter). (Also, can you tell that it's still dark out from the lighting in the photo? Sorry, tangent.)

She was really excited to get there and she walked right in the room and said good morning and got to work. From her report the day was good but her brain was tired because it had to work at school. (Whoo-to-the-hoo!!!) Her teacher said she did (and this is a direct quote, not just proud mama speak) "amazingly well." That's enough for us.

We're really happy with this (did I give that away already?) and we hope Amiya will continue to be so excited about the change!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for her (and you!) and was thinking of her yesterday as I walked Zack to school. She's so sweet and friendly, I'm sure she'll have all new BFF's before long :)

Karen said...

It's the old saying, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree". I am sure she will do well.

Christy said...

I'm dying laughing here.

Vinay wants to know what a BFF is! I need him to think like a girl sometimes.

Karen - thanks! (And Vinay says thanks, too, as if he's the tree you're talking about. We both know better, right?) She is doing well, so far. It's the chattiness that is going to get her in trouble!