Background

Voting

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Arts and Crafts for the Toddler and Mommy Set

Our Michael's store has a preschool crafts "class" every Monday morning. It's $2 and a very good time if you're two. If you're the Mommy, you sit patiently while your child does the exact opposite of what the project is and wonder to yourself when children actually follow instructions. But you wonder quietly to yourself, not wanting to squish creative instincts that are just starting to grasp things like glue and feathers and sparkly, plastic gems.

Amiya's creation this week is this fabulous Halloween mask. She didn't want to do it at all, instead focusing on gluing on the table itself. However, once the teacher showed her how to put shiny butterfly cut-outs on the whole party changed and she was ready to do some serious gluing! She was quite disappointed to not be able to wear her mask home. Alas, it was full of wet glue and sized for adults. Glue + toddler with long hair + car ride home = Mommy with scissors and child with short hair.

And for Mommy's class at Michael's it's only just a bit cleaner than the toddler class. Powdered sugar everywhere and gobs of frosting stuck to chests, fingers and hair. We're on royal icing now which is not really fun and, if you're a hand mixer, fatal because of the very thing that makes it so amazing to work with - it's thickness. But the good news is that the flowers are fantastic and a dead hand mixer means a new Kitchen Aid mixer for Mommy. Vinay agreed to it on the phone today - whoohoo! I'm holding him to it!
Mommy's last class is next Tuesday and I have to make a basketweave cake. Blegh! I don't really mind the basketweave itself - it's that the cake we're supposed to make is pastel colors with bluebirds. That is not Christy at all. So, instead I'll make it brown with fall leaves, flowers, pumpkins and acorns. I don't know if the teacher will "approve" or not, but I don't think she'll hold off my certificate because of it. But now I know where Amiya gets her little bit about not following project guidelines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. You know that kids will NEVER follow directions --- did you block out the two years you taught at JMS!!!!!

2. Amiya's mask was pretty.

3. WOOHOO you are getting the kitchen aide stand mixer.

4. When you figure out how to do the royal icing, please clue me in on what I did wrong.

5. All of your creativity is prompting me to not sell my cake stuff, but to keep it.

6. It was great talking to you on the phone today.

Jacki

Christy said...

Keep it! Keep it! Keep it! And I have, in fact, blocked out most of my middle school teaching days. You will too one day!