It was fabulous. Amiya woke up when I went into her room and was up in (almost) a flash. She was dressed, coiffed and at the table for breakfast by 6:35. By 7 AM breakfast was done, teeth brushed and backpack on. Then thirty minutes of little bits of this and that.
Do you get the feeling that she was excited? She was.
You can see her here - please note the lack of cheesy five-year-old hamming for the camera smile. These are the real deal.
She has to wear a big ol' white foot on her shirt for the next week and a half until everyone knows how everyone is supposed to get home. Three guesses as to how she feels about being emblazoned with a big ol' foot. She looked adorable in her uniform and I kept thinking to myself that she looked so old, so big, so grown-up. (Until I saw the fifth grade girls and then I wanted to swaddle her and put her back in the crib!)
On the way to school, Amiya rode with Vinay in Bob (the blue wonder car) and I drove with Kev in the other car. I shed a few tears but got it all under control before Amiya could see it and either get nervous herself or be a little stinker and make it worse.
At school we walked to her classroom, dropped off her bookbag and lunchbox (more on that later), cookies for the teachers and snacks for the kids. Her new teacher, Mrs. Jefferis, wanted to take a family picture so we did and off we went. Amiya was ready, it was a bit "You're still here?" when we were in the room.
About that lunch box - I packed a perfect first day lunch for Amiya. Half of a PBJ on sneaky whole wheat bread, carrots, applesauce, granola bar, cookie, a bottle of icy cold water and a cute little note from both Vinay and I. All things she likes, all things she'll eat, all things relatively healthy. But for some reason, Amiya was told she was supposed to have a hot lunch. ????????? What!??! It's all fine, but when this little one comes home and tells me she's ravenous because she didn't like the egg roll, so she only ate the snack packet of goldfish crackers, I'm not thrilled. Not angry, but definitely want to figure out what happened so that it does not happen again.
On our way from school to the car, we talked about how the day went and she was very talkative - a pleasant change from last year. I'm taking the Miss Lauren approach and asking who got in trouble - that seems to break the ice. All pining for Miss Amina has gone out the window it seems, because the child could not sing the praises of Mrs. Jefferis enough. I suspect it has something to do with the smelly stamp that Amiya got, but can't say for sure.
All in all, a very, very good day for the first day of kindergarten. I will let you know how day 2 goes as soon as we have it! School was called today on account of the very innocuous "Hurricane" Fay who couldn't even be bothered to tinkle on Tampa. (Which is good, all things considered, I know.)
1 comment:
Oh my gosh Christy, if she isn't the cutest little sweetie pie at school, I don't know who is. She looks so grown up...and beautiful. What a day to remember.
Post a Comment