Background

Voting

Friday, August 01, 2008

Vinay & Calm

The very first time I ever saw Vinay was Dec. 11th, 1998. He was in dark blue pants and a chambray shirt, walking into Gulick Hall at Illinois Wesleyan. And I knew at that moment that he would be important in my life. He's not all that interested in celebrating birthdays but I am - and especially his. His birthday is monumentally important to me because without him, I wouldn't be who I am, the tykes wouldn't be here and if you're reading this and know Vinay well enough to call him Vinay, then he's probably touched your life, too.

So, in that spirit, I share with you this picture:


I think this picture is both sweet and telling. Sweet because he didn't want to put her down ever. Telling because it so aptly states Vinay's parenting style. Amiya was not a challenging baby, but she wasn't a breeze either. She screamed for me, but was calm for Daddy. Most likely because Vinay meets a challenge with calm 95% of the time. And that works as a perfect antidote to my hypochondriac, always thinking-the-kids have autism or other serious issue style of parenting. He's mellow to my drama and our kids benefit for it.

So, from the tykes and I, we love you for your calm! (And, as my Mom pointed out, your polo shirts.)

No comments: