Background

Voting

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Chopped Liver

That's what I am.

This entire past week, Amiya wanted little to do with Daddy - it was the Mommy show.

Today, however, it's all about Daddy. Mommy is only good for doling out chocolate milk and wiping spit-up (she's twenty-seven months old - shouldn't this be a memory by now) off my shoulder.

In part, this was orchestrated. I told Vinay to take her today and do something fun with her - just the two of them. I needed a break. So they did, relatively speaking. He had plans to take her to the zoo, but the rain thought otherwise, so they went to the library and to Sam's Club. Oooooooooooooooh. Not so fun for you or I or our wallet, but fun for Amiya. Anyway, it worked and everything today is all about Daddy. I think the efficacy of today was aided greatly by the marathon time-out resulting from yesterday's poop-art. Mommy has forgiven Amiya her poop expressions, but Amiya has apparently not forgiven Mommy her punishment.

I am of mixed emotions. On the one hand, it's nice to have some breathing room and to have someone else be the one she asks for to change her diapers, make her snacks, etc. It's a little bit of freedom. On the other hand, I miss the random hugs and her asking for me when she wakes up.

But, I'll take it. I'll take my chopped liver status for a few days. Because come Tuesday, she's got no choice and she'll figure that out. And then it'll be back to "Mama!" And I'll be back to waiting for another Dad/Daughter Saturday so I can stroll around with only one shadow for a few hours.

No comments: