It would seem that this is a prudent course of action considering recent expenses.
Consider this:
7/4/2005
Amiya to the after hours clinic for an ear infection. We knew what it was (green stuff coming out of her ear - what else could it be?). $15
7/4/2005
Pick up both oral amoxicillan and ciprodex drops from the neighborhood pharmacy. $40
7/13/2005
Amiya to regular doctor to verify that all is well. Ear still a little funky. Another course of ciprodex prescribed. $15 for 10 minute visit to the doctor.
7/22/2005
Original ciprodex finished, pick up second course. $25
Interestingly, Amiya spikes not one, but two fevers. Make appt. with doctor at his request.
7/23/2005
See doctor. Ears are "pristine." Left tube is working its' way out, thus being why the ear was infected. Do not need to use ciprodex (!!!!!!!). Amiya has "ulcers" on her tonsils, just a virus needing to work its' way through her system. $15 for 5 minute visit.
Later same day: Mommy and Daddy jubilant as local pharmacy decides it will take unopened bottle of ciprodex back.
So, let's do the math:
$15 x 3 = $45
$40 x 1 = $40
$25 x 1 = $25
+ ____
$110
- 25
____
$ 85
That's right. Therefore, I need to get another job. Not because I want to or we need to but because I want this. I think I could be trained to detect an ear infection and then I should be able to call the doc and tell him what it is. He knows me - when he called yesterday he said, "Hey Christy - what's up?" This isn't a doctor who thinks I'm psycho or whacky, I'm smart enough to call and tell him what's going on with my kid. If I had this, we'd be $45 richer. (And please understand I'm not even getting into all of the prior $15 co-pays for 10 minute appointments.) By this point, it would have paid for itself and we would have spent just a wee bit less time in the sick room at the doctor's office. Now, if I could only find amoxicillan at Sam's Club I would be the thriftiest Mom around.
I might even just get this one - what do you think?
1 comment:
You have obviously never been to an ob/gyns office. You're there for hours - and sometimes even that long with the doctor! But then, I'd be worried if you had been to one of those docs!
Post a Comment