Background

Voting

Monday, July 04, 2005

The Fourth of July

Today is a special day.

Yes, it’s the Fourth of July. It’s also the first day that Vinay has allowed me access to the laptop to blog. (That's not really true, but I do so love to tease this man.) This means I can blog while also watching the Fourth of July celebration on TV. I love the big ol’ spectacles that are today – I love the shell-shaped bandstands, the cheesy actors and actresses singing and dancing when the really should leave that to the Paula Abduls of the world, I love the host and his bad hairstyle. The choruses to some of these songs bring a tear to my eye. (Well, I think it’s the choruses and not the fact that tonight is “receipt night” in our house and I’m bored out of my skull.)

Bathroom break – Il Divo is on and for the life of me I don’t get the attraction. They’re hotties to be sure, but I might be the only woman in the Western Hemisphere immune to their warbling.

Ok, back to the Fourth of July. I love our country. I love the fact that my husband loves this place enough to have become a citizen just a few short months ago. There are a lot of things that I take for granted as a woman, as a person, as a Mother. I’m able to go where I want when I want wearing what I want. I’m able to say that I think our leadership stinks and I can’t wait to exercise my right to vote. And I’m confident that my daughter will have access to good schools (be they public or in our kitchen) and whatever we choose is ok because that’s the way the system works here.

For all of my lamenting and debating, this country is a good place to call home.

I wonder if Amiya will care about this place as much as I do? I wonder if she’ll get it without another tragic event like September 11th. I wonder if I’d get it without such an event. I have always gotten a little teary-eyed when the national anthem is sung at ballgames and assemblies, but lately it’s more than just a little teary-eyed. Maybe it’s because I’m a Mom or maybe because Vinay worked so hard for what I’ve had my whole life or maybe it’s just because I’m getting old (almost 30, ya know!!!). But really, do I need to know exactly why? No. It’s enough to know that I love this country, warts and all.

No comments: