Background

Voting

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Morning After

We returned from Rochester late (late!) Monday night after
a hard day of traveling. Had it been just me or just Vinay,
things would have been easier. But add a toddler to any situation involving small spaces and quiet voices and tension runs high. So, it was a hard day of traveling.

Amiya finally went to bed about midnight Monday night - four hours later than her normal bedtime. (Are you wincing along with me?) She woke up about 8:15 when her little friend Aubrey dropped in while her Mommy went to the doctor. That's a pretty normal wake-up time for Amiya. (Still wincing? I am and it's Wednesday night now.) All was well, fantastic really, until Aubrey's Mommy picked her up. And then, well, there just aren't words, Friends.

Bucked it up, I did, and headed out to the fire station for our Moms Club tour. I knew I didn't stand a chance of fending off the ferocious tantrum monster but I knew that a combination of her other 3' friends and getting to sit in a real fire truck might just do the trick. And it did. It was even a bit surreal. When has this child ever, ever stuck to me like glue since she's been mobile? When has she ever, ever put her head on my shoulder for more than two minutes if it wasn't a stalling tactic to prolong
cuddling and avoid bedtime? And yet, she did. She only let go of me long enough to take a seat in the fire truck. I'm not sure that she really enjoyed it, but she did it. Both pictures are of her in the truck - if you look closely at the second, you'll see eyebrows, forehead and bangs. Maybe next year she'll be tall enough to see out of the truck. I had hoped for a pic of her with the firefighter, but it was not to be. She must be missing that gene that propels all straight women towards men in uniform because she wanted nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with the hottie* in all the gear.
Ah well, there is always next time.

I think it's important to note that she had regained her form properly by the time we went to lunch with her 3' friends. I think our little circle is about to be banned from Moe's restaurant, but until the make it official, bring on the toddlers!

*Please know that I used the word "hottie" only because it's still in the mid-80s with a lot of humidity. I felt for the man. Poor guy. Really. What were you thinking, anyway?

No comments: