Background

Voting

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Things you should know about our child

1. Hide and Seek

This is beyond Amiya. Completely and totally. Vinay tries to play with her and she insists on doing whatever he is doing. So, if he is counting, she must therefore also count. If he is hiding, she hides right next to him. Vinay likes to play this game while I clean up after dinner and unfortunately it never works - Amiya doesn't get that one must hide for the other to seek. Tonight I hid while they counted in hopes of having her see how much fun it can be - no dice. She still doesn't get it. And, when I am trying to hide and she's counting with Vinay - she cheats! She has her eyes open the whole time. The amazing thing - she still isn't the one to find me. She sees me walk into the laundry room, there is nowhere, absolutely nowhere for me to hide except behind the door and she still can't find me.

2. Two hours eight

This is the only unit of measurement that matters to Amiya. No matter what.

Mommy: "Amiya, what time is it?"
Amiya: "Two hours eight."

Mommy: "Amiya, how many blocks do you have?"
Amiya: "Two hours eight."

Mommy: "Amiya, how much do you weigh?"
Amiya: "Two hours eight."

Mommy: "Amiya, how far to the swimming pool."
Amiya: "Two hours eight."

3. I know

This is the new yes in our household.

Mommy: "Amiya please put your shoes on."
Amiya: "I know."

Daddy: "Is it for me?"
Amiya: "I know."

Mommy: "Are you ready to go to the library?"
Amiya: "I know."

4. She can now say "Hello" in four languages.

(because her Daddy pesters her all the time)

Daddy: "Amiya, what do we say to Guadelupe?"
Amiya: "Hola!"
Daddy: "What do we say to Babaji?"
Amiya: "Namaste."
Daddy: "What do we say to Grandpa?"
Amiya: "Hi!"
Daddy: "What do we say to Grandpère?"
Amiya: "Bonjour!"

5. Conversations are held in no particular order

Daddy: "Can I get a kiss?
Amiya: "No!"
Daddy: "Pleeeeeeeeeeease?"
Amiya: "No!"
Daddy: fake crying (now we know where Amiya gets it)
Amiya: "Come on boy!"
Daddy: continuing on with these antics
Amiya: True to her Midwestern roots kisses Daddy and says, "Dere you go!"
Daddy: "Can I get another kiss?"
Amiya: "Sure you can." (gives soft kiss)
Daddy: "I just love you Mia."
Amiya: "I do the work."
Daddy: "You're too busy to say you love me?"
Amiya: "I know."

No comments: